Monday, October 17, 2011

How did you spend your weekend?


That question suddenly popped up when I was having breakfast with my husband last Sunday. I wondered how Westerners usually spend their weekend, and if there is any difference between East and West in the way you enjoy these two freedom days.


Talking of the difference, I realized that my way of spending weekends has changed regularly. When I was in school-age, my weekends were days of visiting grandparents, going to the local cultural house to take part in the Stamp Collection Club - oh, I was not that interest in the club, just for fun, watching cartoons or playing with other children in our neighborhood and preparing homework for next week.

That routine changed a little bit since I reached university. I almost stopped going to the cultural house and hanging out with uni friends instead. We usually gathered at someone's house whose parents went out, went to karaoke sometimes, and I started get used to loitering around coffee shops with them. You know, student life was great but we were not that rich enough to enter some high-end places such as shopping malls, premium cinemas. Those places were so gorgeous in our eyes, and we did have a very funny trend that was going to those in groups, taking pictures and posting them in our blog. For what? Just to prove that we were trendy.

And after graduating, working life also made my habit of enjoy weekends changed. We had money - from work, of course - so that we went shopping at weekends sometimes. But still did not dare to wandering shopping malls, if yes, just window shopping. The places we usually visited were local markets or fashion markets with fake clothes. Cheap and chic was our shopping principle at that time. We did go the cinemas, but not usually. And kept gossiping, but not at home, at the coffee shops which were a little high-end.

Some may ask me why we did not go to the countryside or go camping or something like that. We did, we also travel to the countryside, go to the beach, but rarely. Say, about once every three months, or even less. For going some place out of the city or country like this, we tend to take some days off and have plans for the whole journey. That's much more comfortable than going and being back in just one or two days, which is tiresome.

And now, I am married. The habit is also different. Sure. Shopping time is still the same, however, we prefer weekday evenings. My weekends are more family-oriented. We have our own home so that we will visit my family and his at weekends.  Then I and my hubby may go to see a movie or a play. Then having dinner with each other and going back home, preparing for a new work week.

How about you, friends? Tell me. I really want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment